- 1 What was the purpose of John’s life and ministry?
- 2 Why did John the Baptist baptize Jesus?
- 3 Who were Jesus’s closest followers?
- 4 What are the 7 signs of Jesus?
- 5 What is the importance of faith in John’s Gospel?
- 6 How does the Gospel of John present faith as light and gift?
- 7 What did John the Baptist say when Jesus was baptized?
- 8 Why did Jesus have to die for our sins?
- 9 At what age Jesus was Baptised by John?
- 10 Was John’s ministry foretold by Malachi?
- 11 Where in the Bible does it say repent and be baptized?
- 12 What does John 1 say?
What was the purpose of John’s life and ministry?
The purpose of this gospel, as stated by John himself, is to show that Jesus of Nazareth was Christ, the Son of God, and that believers in him might have eternal life.
Why did John the Baptist baptize Jesus?
Why did Jesus get baptised? Jesus was God’s son, so he was sinless and there was no need for him to receive forgiveness. John tried to refuse to baptise Jesus saying that it was he, John, who should be baptised by Jesus. Jesus’ baptism was also an opportunity to show his authority as God confirmed he was his Son.
Who were Jesus’s closest followers?
During the life and ministry of Jesus in the 1st century AD, the apostles were his closest followers and became the primary teachers of the gospel message of Jesus.
What are the 7 signs of Jesus?
The seven signs are:
- Changing water into wine at Cana in John 2:1-11 – “the first of the signs”
- Healing the royal official’s son in Capernaum in John 4:46-54.
- Healing the paralytic at Bethesda in John 5:1-15.
- Feeding the 5000 in John 6:5-14.
- Jesus walking on water in John 6:16-24.
What is the importance of faith in John’s Gospel?
What is the importance of “faith” in John’s Gospel? John makes it clear that only those who believe in Christ will receive the gift of eternal life.
How does the Gospel of John present faith as light and gift?
Light is defined as life, as seen in John 1:4, “In Him was life; and the life was the light of men”. Those have faith through Him will have eternal life. This “life” is a gift Jesus brought from God into a dying world. The only way to receive “life” is to be known of the light through God and his promises.
What did John the Baptist say when Jesus was baptized?
John tried to make him change his mind, but Jesus answered, “In this way we will do all that God requires.” So John agreed. Heaven was opened and he saw the spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. Then a voice said from heaven, “ This is my own dear son with whom I am pleased.”
Why did Jesus have to die for our sins?
In the New Testament, Jesus, God’s Son, came to earth to reunite us with God through the ultimate sacrifice: his own life. We could never a life worthy of God on our own. So Jesus lived a life without sin on our behalf. And then he died the painful death our sins deserve.
At what age Jesus was Baptised by John?
When Jesus “began to be about thirty years of age,” he went to be baptized of John at the river Jordan.
Was John’s ministry foretold by Malachi?
John’s ministry was foretold by Malachi. Jesus’ baptism was unique. Jesus’ first recorded miracle occurred in Cana. Oxen, sheep, and doves were used in the Temple sacrifices.
Where in the Bible does it say repent and be baptized?
Let’s take a close look at Acts 2:38 right now: Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
What does John 1 say?
John 1:1 is the first verse in the opening chapter of the Gospel of John in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. In the Douay–Rheims, King James, Revised Standard, New International, and other versions of the Bible, the verse reads: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.